Yesterday, Caleb & Caden had an intestinal virus. Caden is better today, but Caleb is now on day 2. We've changed clothes & bed linens too many times to count. At 3am this morning, Caleb started vomiting. So we immediately called the after-hours doctor. They said as long as he wasn't running a fever & was staying hydrated we'd be okay. But if he wasn't better in a couple days, call the clinic to schedule an appointment. They called in a prescription for Zofran to help with the nausea & vomiting. Richard drove to the drugstore at 3:30am after having only an hour of sleep. (What a dad!) We gave Caleb the zofran and he was finally able to fall asleep thanks to the medicine. We slept until 8am then it started all over again. Thankfully, he hasn't vomited any more so we're feeling good about that.
But, tonight is the Christmas party for the patients and staff from clinic. We were scheduled to go. We've decided that since so many of the kids there may have weakened immune systems (like Caleb's is now), that it's not fair or wise to go the party and possibly pass this on to any of them. The other patients might not handle it as well as Caleb is and could end up in the hospital. We certainly don't want that to happen.
So we're a little disappointed cause the kids won't get to go to the party. There were many activities planned that they both would have loved. And, Caleb was really looking forward to seeing his friend, Sydney, tonight. I called her mom to let her know we wouldn't be there. At least we'll get to make plans with Sydney after New Year's.
I guess the good news is that if this had to happen, I'm glad it happened before we left for a visit with family. And, we're comforting ourselves with some delicious Chicken Tetrazzini that a wonderful friend made for us.
Please pray that this intestinal thing passes quickly with no ill effects. He's still not running any fever and we want to keep it this way.