When Caleb was in the hospital, we spoke with a school coordinator about how to figure out Caleb's school situation so he wouldn't fall too behind in his classes. She mentioned that because of Caleb's diagnosis, we qualified for a home-bound learning program where a qualified educator would come to our home and teach Caleb if he couldn't attend classes. He was already one week behind when we got out of the hospital. The medications had him so sleepy & extremely moody all the time that we weren't sure if he could handle going to school even for 1/2 of the day. We talked it over, got the paperwork from the school, and decided that we probably would have him schooled at home for the time being. Well...
Once we had a chance to read over the paperwork, we were trying to figure out how to schedule it because of all the radiation treatments, doctor appointments, therapy appointments, his sleepiness, & the mood swings. We felt it still might be too difficult for him right now. And, I was trying to figure out how he was going to be able to incorporate Spanish into the program. He was accepted into a special dual-language program and was learning Spanish & English simultaneously. He had been doing well and really enjoyed learning Spanish. He was already interspersing Spanish into his everyday conversations with us at home.
We went to the school to see his class & had a great talk with the principal, assistant principal, & one of his teachers. They told us that because Caleb just turned 5 in August we had so many more options available than we thought we did.
- We could do the home-bound teaching, which might be a bit stressful for all of us right now.
- We could temporarily withdraw him and re-enroll in January after radiation was done.
- Since he has a summer birthday, we could withdraw him from school and restart next fall.
- Kindergarten is not required in the State of Texas, so we'd have the option of starting him in either kindergarten or 1st grade.
- When I expressed my concern about the dual-language program, they told us that they would save a spot for him in next year's program so he could return to the program.
They also told us that no matter what decision we made, we were always welcome to visit the campus whenever we wanted. He could still go visit with his classmates & teachers. He could even still check-out books from the library if he wanted! They have gone above and beyond what we could have expected. Hackberry Wranglers Rock!!!!!!
Richard and I discussed it a bit more and decided it would be in everyone's best interest to just withdraw him from school for now. We thought it might be too disruptive to re-enroll in January and hold up the rest of the class while he's playing catch-up. So, I went to the school today to officially withdraw him.
While I was there, they asked how they could help. I mentioned that the thing we need most lately is uninterrupted sleep. They offered to put together a schedule of people to come to the house to watch the kids so Richard & I could have some respite. Mr. Moffitt, the principal, is even checking into a program we would potentially qualify for that would enable someone to come clean the house for us once a month free of charge! They are also taking care of getting Caleb a yearbook. Have I mentioned that Hackberry Wranglers Rock?!?
And on a side note...
Thank you to everyone who helped Caleb reach his school fund-raising goal. He did earn the Nintendo DS, along with an iPod shuffle & a set of mp3 speakers!